Giving back to nature initiative is a programme undertaken for Promoting Ecosystem Conservation for generating livelihood through Eco-tourism Development. Ecosystem Conservation will include both the existing and the Introduced Resources.
The Centre has been micropropagating various indigenous Orchids as a result of the Project funded by the Deptt. Of Biotechnology, Govt. Of India in which about a lakh numbers of these Orchids, in different stages of growth are being maintained. Thus, the Centre aims to transfers these Orchids back to their natural environment with the objective of benefiting Rural Communities. Rural Communities that have Community Forests and having willingness to take charge with ownership will be selected for establishment of the Community Orchid Parks in such Forests.
About 10 villages have been selected as per demand for implementing the giving back to nature programme in the 1st phase. A total number of about 150 orchids have been distributed to each of the villages. The following are the villages where the programme has been initiated:
- Nongsynrieh, Mawkyrwat block, South West Khasi Hills.
- Phudjaud Rangthong, Mawkyrwat block, South West Khasi Hills.
- Lyngdoh Masi, Mairang Block, West Khasi hills
- Sangriang, Nongstoin Block, West Khasi hills
- Cham Cham, Khliehriat Block, East Jaintia hills
- Jarain, Amlarem Block, West Jaintia hills
- Thangbuli, Amlarem Block, West Jaintia hills
- Amwi- Shkenpyrsit, Amlarem Block, West Jaintia hills
- Iamkhon, Umsning Block, Ri Bhoi
- Mawlyngbna, Mawsynram Block, East Khasi Hills
- Pine Brook School, Umbang village, Ri-Bhoi District