CULTIVATION OF HIGH VALUE CROPS AT BYRWA VILLAGE, RI BHOI DISTRICT
The initiative on Cultivation of high value crops in Meghalaya resulted as a consequence of the detailed discussions held between officials of different bodies of MBDA, INRM, BRDC and Director of and Scientists of CSIR-CIMAP and the Development Commissioner of Meghalaya, in which the importance of commercialization of MAPs was strongly emphasized. Subsequently, it was suggested that MBDA should move forward for development and dissemination of MAPs related technologies suited for Meghalaya.
The proposal was formulated following the visit to Byrwa village by the Team from MBDA and BRDC in which the project will be initially implemented at Byrwa village in Collaboration with INRM, MBDA, CSIR-CIMAP, Lucknow and BRDC. The proposal had been made to initially promote cultivation of Lemongrass and Citronella covering an area of about 10 Ha (6 Ha-Citronella & 4 Ha-Lemongrass) with an estimated financial implication of about Rs. 20.00 Lakh for the 1st Phase, which was submitted to MBDA for funding.
- Dialogue and awareness promotion with the village community of Byrwa on cultivation of these high value crops have been completed by MBDA (INRM) and BRDC Team in which 10 farmers have been identified for cultivation of Lemongrass and Citronella.
- GPS Mapping of the area (~10 Ha) for cultivation completed (INRM Team).
- An initial sanctioned of Rs. 6.00 Lakh have been released by MBDA which will be utilised for purchase of planting materials.
- As a result of the financial constrained encountered by the farmers in respect of land development, cultivation in only 500 m2 for each farmers will be taken up initially.
- The Tripartite Social Agreement governing the implementation of the project by the three parties (Farmers/Village Communities, Entrepreneur and Implementing/Funding Agency) have been prepared.
- Opportunity for convergence funding on labour component and purchase of planting materials under MGNREGS have been sought through the Block Development Officer, Umsning Block. A proposal on the above amounting to Rs. 2014375.00 prepared by the BDO, Umsning Block has been forwarded to the District Nodal Officer, BDU, Ri Bhoi by the P.D. & Addl. District Programme Coordinator, NREGS, DRDA, Ri Bhoi.